Yay! Hurrah! No one at uni told me I couldn’t, so it’s Project: Master and Margarita a-go go!
It’s been a really productive week, which is great. Everyone seems to have been struck by the ‘we’re in our final year, gotta work like crazy!’ bug, so the uni studio is very hive-like right now, a good atmosphere to be working in. I set up my little desk and got going. Quite a lot happened, so I’ll list it for you, for easiness sake:
1. I set up my space, and got myself a protective face mask (to prevent glass paint-powder inhalation). Because I take my health and safety seriously, and have little regard for fashion.
2. Safely prepared I got down to some painting. It was nice to finally paint the text in, although I did have one major mishap… after spending a whole morning painting in these words, I then remembered that, when turned around, they would all read backwards. SOUL DESTROYING.
But then I got on with it and made these pieces, which thankfully read the correct way round. Phew!
3. I knew that art school had a pottery kiln, but had been under the impression that glass wouldn’t really work in it and that they might not want me using it for that purpose. BUT, it turns out the kiln technician is lovely,a nd he’s really keen on me using the kiln. They haven’t really had any glass students before, so they’re interested in what I can tell them about that as much as what they can teach me about the kiln, so it’s a win-win. It’s also going to save me a LOT of travelling time and expense. Success!
5. Then I made a little start on the cover, too. The text is still to come, as are all the (many) layers of paint. But for now, the St. Basil’s skyline and the little cat/soviet star etc. symbols are there.
6. On top of that, I had some lectures. But that’s not so exciting to blog about! I also finished off these drawings, which I’m pretty pleased with. I’d like to make a small print-run of them to sell, alongside more MM-related drawings to come, so that’s something I’ll be planning in the future. Keep an eye out!